Trust. Collaboration. Action.
United against environmental destruction and poverty, we stand.
We launched Project Jatropha's Phase-IV in the state of Tamil Nadu, an adjacent state of Karnataka, where our primary project site is located. We had already established a partnership for GCY with Vallalar Educational Trust ( in 2010).
Mr. Balamurali, the director of VETNGO is a very passionate individual. When we pitched in the idea of establishing a pilot plantation of Jatropha in their institution, he was more than willing to try.
1. The first step was to introduce him to Jatropha world. We decided that the best place would be at Labland Biotechs.
2. We arranged an extensive agronomic training in Labland Biotechs in April of 2012 for Bala, where he learned the art of Jatropha cultivation by first experience.
3. In addition we also donated high quality Jatropha seeds from Labland Biotechs to start the pilot project.
4. In the Aug of 2012, Bala involved international volunteers from England to start a jatropha nursery at VETNGO
5. During our visit to VETNGO in Dec 2012, we observed that 50% of Jatropha seedlings in the nursery did not survive due to a fungal disease.
6. We have successfully planted the jatropha seedlings that survived in VETNGO plot using the intercropping technique.
1. As this is a pilot project, we need to give it time. We need to figure out the reason that the seedlings got fungal disease.
2. As there are many variables, the time will decide if the seedlings will thrive in our pilot plot.
3. In the mean time, the school children of VETNGO who are looking after the fruit trees will get an opportunity to take care of the Jatropha seedlings as well.
Vallalar Educational Trust (VETNGO) India
Vallalar Educational Trust is dedicated to support the weaker sections of the society with a holistic, sustainable and diversified approach.
Its motto: socio-economic and educational development of backward communities and villages, with a focus on child development, youth development, women empowerment and care and support for aged people.